Biggest Corporate Events in Australia
From the Australian Open tennis and the Spring Racing Carnival in Melbourne to the Mardi Gras in Sydney and the V8 Supercars on the Gold Coast, Australia’s biggest events also attract some of our biggest corporate get-togethers, as sponsors gather to network, team-build and show the flag in lavish style.
Conventions, expos and trade shows also abound across the country and the one thing that these kinds of corporate events all have in common is that they can run for up to a week or more and everyone involved needs to find suitable accommodation nearby.
These are the first things to be booked out and the least desirable option from a financial point of view as well. Rates tend to magically rise around the time of major events and this includes a lot of accommodation options close to the action.
Another drawback of hotel rooms is that they are basically only for sleeping, so every member of your team would need to eat out for every meal, which would soon leave a dent in your company expense account.
A much better option if you are in town for the duration of an event is to rent a serviced apartment. These can be found in the central CBD of most capital cities and usually within close proximity of major events.
A serviced apartment has more space than a hotel room, more privacy, so you can come and go as you please (a good thing, given that attendance at corporate events is rarely a nine-to-five affair) and with its own laundry and kitchen, you can eat what you want, when you want in a serviced apartment and generally feel a lot more at home.
Close to the action
Being near the action is a vital consideration when booking corporate accommodation. The last thing you want is to put in a twelve or fourteen hour day at a corporate event and then have to catch two buses and a train to your lodgings somewhere out in the suburbs.
Examples of good proximity to major events include:
- Gold Coast V8 Supercars – you would ideally want to be in a suburb like Southport or Broadbeach, which are right near the street circuit and associated corporate activity.
- Sydney Mardi Gras – the ideal location for the parade and other festival-related events would be areas such as Bondi Junction or central Sydney, as close to Oxford Street as possible.
- Brisbane Home Show – the best accommodation would be in downtown Brisbane, near the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre in Southbank.
- Melbourne Cup – anywhere near Flemington Race Course in areas such as Ascot Vale, Maidstone and Footscray.
- Australian Open – look for accomodation near to Rod Laver Arena in areas like Southbank and east, south and central Melbourne.
- Sydney Royal Easter Show – look in areas surrounding the Sydney Showgrounds and Olympic Park in suburbs such as Parramatta, Strathfield, Auburn and North Ryde.
As with any accommodation, the secret is to book early and to look for those properties offering corporate rates for volume occupancy.